USA Grants Banner

Adult with CP looking for grant to purchase a home with mobility access?

asked 2016-10-10 07:32:35 -0700

Christy gravatar image

updated 2016-10-17 20:24:23 -0700

I need a home to be more acessible for me due to cerebral palsy and being dependent on my wheelchair / walker. Grandmas house was built in 1955, I was told by my mom. The house was not completed due to grandpa having two heart attacks. He died having the second one. The home has two bedrooms and one bathroom. It doesn't have any closets built in the current bedrooms. I'm am unable to use either walker or wheelchair in the current bathroom due to lack of space. I am currently staying in her living room where my bed is taking up the couch space and my potty chair is beside my bed. They watch TV in here and the visitors come in here. I do not have any PRIVACY! It is a mess here, please help us! My mom is my current care giver and she is disabled herself. I cannot afford to pay anyone for my care but I DO PAY RENT HERE!

Along with having been born with cerebral palsy, I have been diagnosed with panic attacks, anxiety, bipolar, fibromyalgia, ibs-d, and going to have to start my c-pap machine all over again.

I am an adult with cerebral palsy looking for a grant to purchase a home with mobility access. Please help.

I had to move into my moms home due to a dropped foot condition caused by the failure of Moses Cone hospital communication mix up. I have CP but was abled to walk without assistance until I was admitted into the hospital because of my bipolar. They would not even let me out of bed to go to the bathroom. For every day I was in the bed. It takes three days for a person with my disablity to recover according to my doctor. Now I am unable to live alone because I have lost the ability to balance myself. I have to use a wheelchair, walker, and braces now. My moms bathroom does not have the space for a wheelchair or walker in it. The bedrooms are taken. This home only has 1bath/2 bedrooms. It was built in 1955 according to my mom. My grandparents built the house. I am in their living room and my bed takes the place of their couch potty chair is right beside my bed.When company comes they either stand or sit on MY BED! I have NO PRIVACY AT ALL HERE! I need my own disablity acessible bedroom and bathroom ASAP! But I need some kind of grants, charities, foundactions, organizations to help me because I have no money to do this. I was born with cerebral palsy and have bipolar, IBS-D, fibromyalgia, and am a cancer survivor. I don't know what to do or where to get help. 

Please help me.

Thank you,

Christy Bullard


edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-10-14 15:00:28 -0700

Timone gravatar image

That's a tough situation Christy. I hope you are familiar with the government site for those with disabilities and their caregivers. There is a good review of here. They definitely can point you to programs designed for the disabled, to help them make their homes more safe and accessible.There is also information in the review about how you may be able to pay your mom as a caregiver through Medicare. Take a look at the article and definitely check out the disability website.

edit flag offensive delete link more